AMBBR Update

Home Forums BigTrees Talk AMBBR Update

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Westlye
    Participant

It was Dana (Mrs. BTT) that inspired us to join the 2013 Leukemia Lymphoma Society Team-In-Training (LLS-TNT) Cross Country Ski Team. We learned a new sport, raised funds for cancer research/support and had a fabulous 25k race in Anchorage. In 2014, I joined LLS-TNT for an endurance back country hike in Yosemite which was an off the chart wonderful experience. This year, Kevin & I are also cycling AMBBR for LLS-TNT and let me tell you, this is by far the most difficult of the three events. All three events have raised needed funds for research, let us meet new and lasting friends and we have personally challenged ourselves beyond what I thought we were capable of achieving. So Thank you Joe and Dana for introducing us to Team-in-Training.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by Westlye.
    bigtreestechman
    Keymaster

Other than the obvious benefit of helping to fight cancer, one of the great things about participating in the Leukemia and Lymphoma Societies Team In Training programs is that you get introduced to new training routes whether you’re doing a cycling event, hiking, running, triathlete event or whatever. You get an experienced coaching staff that know lots of great places to do your prep work.
    For some of the events, like cycling, you also get en-route support. For example, on the longer rides there are volunteers that drive the route with tools, bike racks etc, referred to as SAG, that will help out any of the riders in need. We also have had rest stops with great munchies and water to fill up on for the next segment of the ride.
    Unless you’re already an experienced athlete, training with a group like this is so much more motivating that trying to do it all on your own.
    I think that these are reasons why the TNT programs have been so successful in motivating an army of fundraisers. One might criticize the organization for spending some of the funds on management and execution of the program but were it not for what they do hundreds of thousands if not millions of people would have been sitting on their couch, watching TV rather than training for an endurance event and raising funds to beat cancer.
    You should try it! You’ll like it!

cmon4day
    Participant

Nice Job Joe, descent mileage and the 4k of climbing is remarkable!

bigtreestechman
    Keymaster

FYI I just published another update. The Team had a great 65 mile ride out of Half Moon Bay this past Saturday. There’s a map, elevation profile and brief video showing some of the ride in the article HERE.

Westlye
    Participant

Congrats to Joe on the Stafford Lake Ride! Kevin & I are on the same LLS-TNT team and I can tell you first hand, this ride was very difficult at best with drizzle, high winds and very steep hills. Not only does Joe commute to the Bay Area to train, he most definitely trains extremely hard and gave this ride his all (and then some). Thank you Joe for all of your efforts to fight cancer and also providing this great neighborhood website.

Please show your support!

JOE’S DONATION LINK: http://pages.teamintraining.org/gba/ambbr15/jpercival

• This reply was modified 8 years, 11 months ago by Westlye.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 11 months ago by Westlye.
    bigtreestechman
    Keymaster

I just posted a new update on my training for the America’s Most Beautiful Bike Ride. If you want to see a great route for a bike ride, motorcycle ride, or weekend drive, have a look under the Bike Stuff tab.
    Stafford Lake TNT Training Ride
    If you’d like to help me fight cancer, you can do so HERE!

lawver
    Participant

Two years ago I rode white pines to summit level rd. and back. Summit level rd connects to camp connell. Since I ususally ride alone, I am reluctant take off from camp connell to white pine via summit level without knowing the terrain. Anyone familiar with the road junctions?

cmon4day
    Participant

No worries, slow works for me. I’m a clydesdale on a clydesdale bike.

bigtreestechman
    Keymaster

Sounds like a plan, Vic. Are you up for something like the Murphys Loop or going part way up to Bear Valley (not sure I’m ready to go all the way up yet).
    FYI, I’m still getting into shape and I’m still slow.
    joe

cmon4day
    Participant

Hi Joe,

Next week I will be coming up for a week. I plan on bringing my bike. Maybe sometime next week we can hook up for a ride? Let me know.

Vic

bigtreestechman
    Keymaster

I just posted another update to my training story for the America’s Most Beautiful Bike Ride. Last week, my “long ride” was 30 miles. It was difficult, at times it felt even brutal…
    Yesterday (Pi Day) I was led by my good friend and semi-pro cyclist Patty Jo, on an Epic (by my current standards) 50 mile ride with 3800 ft elevation gain / loss that took me over 5 hours to complete. Look under Bike Stuff for the ride info.
    I can’t thank Patty Jo enough for being so tolerant, encouraging, and such good company on this long ride (no quotes).
    I’m starting to feel like I could be ready for the Mr Frog’s Wild Ride 100K in April and the America’s Most Beautiful Bike Ride in June. Woot!
    Want to help? Want to get involved? Here’s the place to do it!
    DO IT HERE!

bigtreestechman
    Keymaster

I just posed a new update on the Bike Stuff page.
    to summarize… 30 miles, 3000 feet, 3.5 hours, max speed 42.6 mph.
    Training is coming along.
    all the best,
    joe

bigtreestechman
    Keymaster

cmon4day, it was indeed exhilarating… particularly when the bike started to go into an oscillatory wobble. Not sure why but it seems to do that from time to time when I reach those speeds.
    One person I know hit almost 50mph going down the same hill.

cmon4day
    Participant

Nice ride! Nice top speed as well. You were flying at 35 mph.

bigtreestechman
    Keymaster

FYI, there’s another update under Bike Stuff!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.