Camera setup

Home Forums Web Site Camera setup

• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by uttb.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    uttb
    Participant

MonkeyMountain
    Participant

Hello, our Neighbor Gary is interested in your stove. he was unable to log in for some reason. his email address is gbetchel@gmail.com his cell # is 925.771.0736 or send me your # and Ill have him contact you.

Thank you
    JF

MonkeyMountain
    Participant

Hi

uttb
    Participant

Lopi Berkshire propane stove w/thermostatically controlled remote. $1000.00. 31’500 BTU

Attachments:
    Tony
    Participant

Costco is current having a sale on a Lorex NVR system which is PoE. It included two very nice pan tilt zoom cameras which normally list for over $200 each as well as two bullet cameras and an NVR. The system is expandable to add four more cameras for a total of 8. I have this system at my residence in the Bay area and will be adding one to my home in Arnold. Picture quality is top notch.

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-HD-IP-NVR-with-2TB-HDD%2c-2-1080p-Cameras-with-130′-Night-Vision-and-2-1080p-Pan-Tilt-Cameras-.product.100226688.html

skipamy
    Participant

I am very pleased with my Foscam cameras (made in China). I recently purchased the FI9821 for my home which has very good video quality. I have 2 older models at the cabin (FI9810), both inside. One sits on a window ledge pointing out the window down the driveway (IR doesn’t work through a window though). The other sits on a cabinet in the corner and points to where someone would enter the front door. They are wireless but need to be plugged in for power, but that’s easy to do compared to running Ethernet cable. I can access them remotely from a browser or phone and can pan/tilt. There is a built-in speaker and microphone so you can hear/talk (low quality) or plug in a better speaker/mike if high quality is important to you. I usually have motion sensing turned on and it emails me a series of 3-4 snapshots when triggered. All this for $70-80. My only complaint is that the motion sensing algorithm is very simple (pixel changes) so I get a lot of false alerts when there are lighting changes from the sun moving in/out of the clouds). And, setup is not the easiest (I needed to set up port forwarding on the router).

lawver
    Participant

The three side yard views had up to date tags but their contrast was from an overcast day when it was bright sun. There was not much snow visible when the driveway showed plentiful amount which is why I guess the commenter was frustrated having to dig out his driveway. Snow Pole is the camera I mainly studied.

bigtreestechman
    Keymaster

@laver… what images frozen from last week are you referring to? All the Live From Dorrington images are up to date.
    joe

thespoiler
    Participant

There are many things to consider when buying a camera.
    I feel the IP camera is the way to go, does not require the computer its built into the camera, if the power goes out which never happens in Bigtrees it resets itself. Who wants to leave a computer running 24/7 ? Wireless can have many issues such as distance from your comcast box or router and snow can cause a lost connection. If you buy a camera that requires 110v it may cost you hundreds of dollars for a electrician and a permit. So a camera using cat5 cable with power (poe) plugged into your comcast is simple and far less money. Also better picture quality with cat5 cable. Next thing if you install outside you need a weatherproof unit and it must be rated for cold temp during the snow. You may need a box enclosure with a heater. Other things that drive up the price night vision, zoom, motion detection, and a video recorder if you think you need one. Cheap cameras=poor results. Last but least is the setup most systems need tinkering so good tech support is very important and make sure they are an authorized seller or you may end up with no tech support at all. I perfer Geovision cameras they have good tech support and they were very helpful when choosing a camera. The new camera I will be installing GV-BL2511. I will update when installed. Being able to check the snow level and road conditions may reduce frustration. By the way I had a camera demo just for fun. This camera was high end and had all the bells and whistles. It even would track/follow someone walking across your property, zoom in on their face, send you a email and has many more options for only $2000. Hope this helps.

jsschmitz
    Participant

There are definitely cameras such as the Foscam’s that do not require a PC to be on all the time. But I think the software that runs on the PC such as Blue Iris is generally better than what you get with the built in camera software. I’ve heard good recommendations for the Swann cameras but I have not used them myself and they are more expensive than the Foscam.

By the way, power can be an issue. If you want an outdoor camera, you might look for ones that support PoE which is power over Ethernet. Wireless is fine, but you still need power for the camera. One way or another you currently need some wires to your camera. If you’ve got power nearby, then maybe standard wireless is good enough. But if you don’t, then it might be easier to run a long Ethernet cable with PoE rather than 120 Vac. Or maybe you can view the driveway from a window inside – but watch out for the IR glare if you want to be able to view at night.

Good luck

lawver
    Participant

I think if you study all of the images you can figure out which are frozen from last week or earlier. I appreciate having the views even if maintenance is becoming an issue.

ragmor
    Participant

Hi,

I know there have been previous discussions about cameras before. Today the BTV tech site looked like very little snow so I didn’t order a plow. Got here about 4:00 PM to find over a foot of snow in my driveway. Had to shovel over 1.5 hours before I could safely attempt driving my 2012 4WD Explorer up my fairly steep 50 ft driveway into garage.

I think it is time to get my own camera surveying my own driveway.

Question: Do these wireless cameras require that I leave a computer on? (Worried that power fluctuations would shut computer down.)

If not, how do they work?

Any recommendations for decent quality systems?

Ray Gilmore, Crow Ct

NorCal311
    Participant

I have several cameras that I have picked up over the years. I have a ACTI, Arecont, some Chinese cam that I bought cause it was cheap and several Logitech alerts. I really like the logitech’s but they are not making them anymore and the Ebay prices are sky high!

For software I use Blue Iris running on a old Dell server. It is fantastic and there is so much you can tweak.

My buddy got the kit from Costco and it is a nice. Make sure you get HD and don’t get the cheapest cameras.

Here is a link.
    http://theplace.likescandy.com:32001

-Brian

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by NorCal311. Reason: Added camera link
    Dogwood
    Participant

I have installed a few different systems and my favorite is the Swann cameras and DVR systems. They are easy to setup and have great apps and software.

Tony
    Participant

Thank you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.