cement versus asphalt driveway

Home Forums Cabin Maintenance cement versus asphalt driveway

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dogwood
    Participant

I heard concrete is much more expensive due to the sub base of aggregate that is needed and steel rebar. About 7 bucks a square foot. I am sticking with gravel until I get tired of shoveling snow.

Bootstrap
    Participant

For asphalt, it’s all about proper subgrade (dirt) condition and aggregate base (base rock) thickness and compaction BEFORE the asphalt is installed. If you are installing over soft, organic soil, you need more aggregate base thickness and/or thicker asphalt. Asphalt is relatively less expensive because most of the installation is done with heavy equipment, versus manual labor.

For concrete, it’s all about thickness and reinforcing (wire mesh or rebar). A strong concrete slab will distribute heavy vehicular weight over a large area which is good for soft subgrades. It can also be given a rough finish for better traction on steep slopes. But concrete is generally more expensive because forms and screeds need to be installed by hand and the concrete has to placed, vibrated and finished by hand labor. Concrete needs to be properly cured and the joints are more for controlling shrinkage cracks during curing, and not for hot/cold expansion.

Asphalt needs to be maintained at a hot temperature prior to placement, so the distance to the batch plant is important. Then it’s just a matter of compacting it in lifts and letting it cool.

Concrete needs the proper mix proportions (portland cement, aggregate, sand and water) and needs to be transported and placed well before it starts to set up…

As noted, the black asphalt will absorb sunlight and melt snow quicker than light colored concrete. But it also gets hotter in the summer sun.

You should get a cost proposal for each method and ask how far the material has to be trucked in (for quality control). Don’t skimp on thickness in either case. For concrete, 5 or 6″. For asphalt, 2 or 3 inches over 6″ to 8″ of compacted aggregate base.

Sorry to carry on, I’ve worked with both materials in my many years of civil engineering.

carlshome
    Participant

The bottom 20 feet of my driveway is cement and the remaining 130 feet is pavement. Both installed in 2000. I’ve found the cement become icy faster and stays icy longer than the pavement. Based on this observation I’d suggest if you have a reasonably level driveway which gets lots of sun cement would be just fine. But if your driveway is shaded or steep I’d be looking at pavement myself.

Also, not all concrete is the same. It is very important to have the right cement mix to withstand freeze/thaw cycles. Poor mixtures will have surface chipping (aka spalling). So if you decide to go with concrete be sure to discuss this with your concrete contractor.

allen
    Participant

Good asphalt with proper installation lasts a very long time. However, properly installed concrete also lasts a long time. I think it’s just a matter of personal preference more than anything else. There’s a fairly new cabin near us with a concrete driveway and the surface is chipped pretty bad. I have been told the owners use salt in the winter so that would explain the driveway’s poor condition.

tortuga
    Participant

Our driveway is badly alligator-d and has asphalt aliens. Probably wad not built right to begin with and needs a new underlayment not just resurfacing. On my walks I see a few cement driveways instead of asphalt. Any feedback on benefits and drawbacks? The cement driveways seem generally to be in better condition, though age is unknown. While expansion gaps seem to allow for winter freezing, I’d be concerned that a heavy truck delivery (2 cords wood?) Might crack cement? But is cement otherwise a good choice up Here just more pricey?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.