Dead trees on neighbors property

Home Forums BigTrees Talk Dead trees on neighbors property

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sierrashoo
    Participant

This isn’t just a CA insurance law – it’s pretty state-standard all around. Bottom line that even if you send that certified letter, you’re insurance will be covering any damage done by a tree-fall on your property. The only caveat is that you “might” have a claim on the other homeowner as to the cost of removal of said tree. But it’s tough as some insurance co’s require you to hire an independent arborist with a report BEFORE you send the certified letter. Been there, done that.

BTVSteve
    Participant

Thanks for the tip. I had been thinking of sending a letter to protect myself. I think the tree surgeons are going to be busy this year.

cabin
    Participant

Unfortunately they are not liable unless you can prove they knew the tree was not healthy and they ignored it. If you send them a registered letter you can show they were informed of the condition of the tree and if they take no action then your insurance company might go after them for damages. but if no damage is done you are responsible for removing the tree from your property! I learned that the hard way when a neighbors tree fell on my house and did minor damage which my insurance company paid for. They paid to remove the tree but I was told that if no damage had been done to the house they would not pay to remove the tree. My insurance went up for filing a claim. What a system but it is Calif law they follow.

BTVSteve
    Participant

I am not sure how this works, but if a neighbors tree falls onto your property, for what ever reason, are they ultimately liable? The reason for the question is the number of trees that have been killed because of the bark beetle and the inevitable consequences.

Thanks

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.