Deck Permit

Home Forums BigTrees Talk Deck Permit

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    allen
    Participant

Thanks. I think it is standard procedure to double the permit fees if you build something first that requires a permit.

I sent the inspector an email letting him know I had an architect and engineer working on it. His reply, in part was:

==========================
    allen

Thanks for the info, no hurry on my part, I was hoping we could let it slide but the big boys said no because of the complaint.

Good Luck
    ==========================

Dogwood
    Participant

Sorry to hear about it Allen. Let us know how much the permit fees end up being. Sounds like the inspector was happy so you should be good.

allen
    Participant

I should add that my first post might have been inaccurate. The neighbor I mentioned and myself had an altercation a few weeks ago regarding my chainsaw. I confronted him and he denies contacting the county.

allen
    Participant

I’m pretty sure that is the number I called. Got an answering machine or voice mail. Left a message but no return call.

1Buddy
    Participant

We used M&M Drafting last year for our deck plans. Contact Mark Miguel 209-728-3845

allen
    Participant

I called M&M but nobody answered and they did’t return my call. Thanks for the info sspmoose. If I had more free time I would probably try to draw my own plans. Aleon, already found someone but in case things don’t work out I’ll keep you in mind. Thanks. This whole thing is ironic because this cabin (not the one we live in) is located in Dorrington Meadows. Most of those cabins have decks built in the 50s without any permit and most are about ready to fall down. We build a nice deck to replace the old rotten deck and now someone complains. Guess they are jealous!

Aleon
    Participant

Permit and plans..I can draw your plans and have the engineering for you done. A complete package for submittal @ $1000.00 Let me know.I am a general contractor and work with a great engineer.

Bootstrap
    Participant

The worst thing about snow loading is the impact loading of it sliding off your roof. I know of a couple of nearby decks built long ago that were quickly sheared off the house by snow. The connection to the house is critical, unless the deck is designed to be free standing.

20 years ago, when I design my deck, the County only required 120 psf (pounds per square foot) snow load but the Snowshoe Springs HOA recommended 240 psf. That’s equivalent to about 20 feet of snow at 20% water content.

Would be interesting to know what load the county requires now. I also understand if you build something without a permit, they can double your permit fee (after the fact). Let’s hope they waive that.

sspmoose
    Participant

No, none of my cabin was engineered except the trusses. I just looked at other cabins to see how they did it and asked a lot of questions. Figured if the county didn’t like it they would say so. But everything passed just fine and it didn’t cost me anything except the permit fees.

I used Corel Draw…as I recall I was able to superimpose a scale grid and snap lines to the grid at the points I needed.

I see you have already found someone to do this for you but I’m answering your questions anyway in case someone else wants to go the DIY route. I really enjoyed the process of designing my place.

Camp Con
    Participant

Sorry. My mistake. Rob Westerhoff was in Murphys when worked on my project, not Arnold.

w.eppler
    Participant

I’m on a similar project right now. M/M drafting of Arnold did my plans and related engineering. Very good detailed drawings. Mark is easy to work and will do a good job for you.
    I’m told the codes have changed requiring great snow load requirements on decks. You will want to take that into consideraton who ever you use.Good luck.

allen
    Participant

Thanks Camp Con. I found an architect in Sonora and he will do the plans, and he works with an engineer in San Andreas. According to him, I will have everything I need for a permit when we’re done. I tried to find a local architect but Rob Westerhoff didn’t show up on any web searches. Now that I know his name, I found him! According to his website, he is in Murphys now.

http://www.rwarc.com/index.html

Camp Con
    Participant

For my situation the county required drawings, and engineering calculations for the deck from a state registered professional engineer. They said this is required for decks because of heavy snow load potential.

Rob Westerhoff, an architect in Arnold, did the drawings. His work was very professional and reasonably priced.

I don’t have a recommendation for the engineering part. So, like I said, get price quotes for that.

It hope it all works out good for you.

allen
    Participant

@sspmoose – Thanks for the info about drawing my own plans. I could do it, but unfortunately right now I just don’t have time. I would much rather take photos of the deck and have someone else draw the plans. It would be fast and easy to take pictures and make labels describing what everything is using Photoshop. But the county wants plans scaled where 1/4″ = 1′. What graphics art program did you use for your plans?

allen
    Participant

@sspmoose – Thanks. I’ve been there and that’s where I got the specs for code. Did you have your deck engineered?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.