Dorrington Timber Harvest Plan

Home Forums BigTrees Talk Dorrington Timber Harvest Plan

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    jandm
    Participant

I’m not sure if I’m doing this right! Trying to send a private msg/reply to *Hardydna*. Hardy (originally MacHardy from the old days) is my maiden name. Is there another Hardy up here? Thanks! Marsha F (mfagnanistudio@comcast.net)

btvmanager
    Participant

That’s too bad about Mike…we wish him well.
    The last time I talked to him about the fire break, he said they were behind because of the Rim fire (last year). Their mills are backed up 1-2 years processing the wood cut there.
    The trees around Big Trees that are marked in orange are supposed to stay and yes, they are the bigger, healthier trees. According to Mike, the area will look much like the area along hwy 4 going to Bear Valley. It’ll look horrible as we go through the process, but will look very nice and open when it’s complete.

Hardydna
    Participant

We contacted the SPI forester who spoke at the meeting at the Rec Center last year. By email he sent the following response: The project has been delayed while I am undergoing treatment for cancer.
    I anticipate the THP will be submitted this fall of 2014.
    Operations may not commence until 2015/2016/2017. This is all dependent on log supply coming off the RIM fire salvage operations.
    It is too early to tell where the project would begin. That schedule is not determined until we bid the job and have a contract logger Signed up.
    Many of these logistics are determined much closer to the startup of operations which is 1-3 years out.
    Let me know if there are any further questions.
    Mike Fascilla Sonora District Forester, SPI
    End of his words…
    My take is ,, First of all, we wish the very best for him. He is a very good guy. After the meeting he voluntarily came to our house because of our concerns with SPI bordering 2 sides of our property.
    For those of us bordering SPI, the Bad news is no fire break. The Good news is no severe thinning, noise, dust etc…. yet. The “near” clear cutting will not be near residences. That spotty heavy harvesting kind of provides provides the income to SPI to pay for the selective cutting near cabins to provide fire break AND to continue a healthy forest. They LEAVE the Red marked trees which are the larger trees, spaced 20 – 30 feet to reduce fire jumping the tops. Sounds good, BUT EVERYTHING else goes to either the chipper mil or the lumber mill, right down to the ground. Some is good, some is bad, but,,, it is their property and we knew that when we purchased.

bayrunner
    Participant

Anybody know whatever happened with the plan to cut down trees to the south of Big Trees to re-establish the fire break between SPI land and Big Trees? The trees are all painted red and yellow but I haven’t heard anyone cutting yet..

gagacabin
    Participant

Thank you Sierrashoo, that worked. I should have noticed that option.

Sierrashoo
    Participant

Gaga – just open it as a “Guest” user

jandm
    Participant
    jandm
    Participant

Over 600 more acres of clearcutting? OMG

Dave and Nancy
    Participant

That is odd. Both my son & I have opened it without any issues, and I have opened it on both a Windows machine and a Mac.

gagacabin
    Participant

Maybe it is just me, but I can’t open it. Says I need a password.

Dave and Nancy
    Participant

Here’s a link to everything you could possibly want to know about the upcoming timber harvest north and west of Dorrington: ftp://thp.fire.ca.gov/THPLibrary/Sierra_Southern_Region/THPs2014/4-14-011CAL.

Nancy

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.