Fastest Route

Home Forums BigTrees Talk Fastest Route

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Rich Owen
    Participant

If you don’t want to go as far north as Peltier Road, take Turner Road off the I-5 east toward Lodi; it misses most of the town traffic in Lodi. Turner Road dead-ends into Cherokee Lane: turn right, go a block and turn left at the first signal and you are on your way to connect with Hwy 12 and on to Lockeford.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 11 months ago by Rich Owen.
    hangtree23
    Participant

Another way to travel. 12 from Suisun, north on I5 to Peltier. Peltier to Elliot (about 15 minutes). Elliot to Lockforde, left at light and you are back on 12 to San Andreas. It is faster than driving thru Lodi.

Dogwood
    Participant

Thank you everyone. We took 12 from Suisun all the way until it becomes 49 and left onto 4 in Angels Camp. It was about 3 hours. There was a bridge that work was being done after the Sacramento river where it was one way and signaled. This no doubt added at least 30 minutes. Taking 12 and 49 is definitely scenic and seems to have less stops along the way.

Dacmill
    Participant

We come up from El Cerrito and take all of these routes- mainly for variety more than travel time. With light traffic, they all take about the same time, give or take 15 minutes.

The Lodi route is best during cherry season (soon!) and for stops at Lockeford meats, the Country Cafe, and the great local wine section in the supermarket.

If we go through Tracy/Manteca, we’ve stocked up on fruit and veggies at Denise’s produce past Jack Tone Road (at Escalon, turn L on Escalon-Bellota Rd to Farmington. On the way back, often take Milton Rd off of 4 for a change of scenery.)

And if we go through Stockton, we stop at farm stands in Brentwood or a taqueria in Stockton.

Light traffic, all take about 3 hrs non stop. But we seldom go non stop. I always check 511 traffic or google maps before we go- but over the winter I still hit road closures on Hwy 12, the 99/4 interchange, and of course the Altamont can always be backed up.

SnowShoe
    Participant

Starting from the Lafayette, Moraga, Orinda area we take 680 south to 580 east over the Altamont pass (non commute times only, otherwise you will seriously regret it) to 205 to 5 north, 120 east, left on Jack Tone road, and Hwy 4 east. Takes us about 2:45 on average.

Westlye
    Participant

Consistently 2.5 hrs door-to-door. From Lafayette, we drive via hwy 242–>hwy 4 east through Antioch–> take the Antioch bypass to –> (l) Walnut Lane (r) hwy 4–> drive past Discovery Bay over the bumpy Delta–> (l) on Fresno Ave–> (r) onto the Stockton Bypass–> Hwy 99 south –>onto Hwy 4 East.

https://goo.gl/maps/RIIMC

rswheeler1
    Participant

I come from Pleasant Hill and take hwy 4 to 160, then hwy 12 to I5, turn right on Peltier Rd. This bypasses Lodi, Lockford, and Clements. Then hwys 88, 49 and 4. From PH to Big Trees takes about 2 3/4 hours.
    Scott

gagacabin
    Participant

Hi, We are in the Santa Rosa area. We take 12 to Lodi, stay on Kettleman (this avoids the downtown area) turn left onto 88. 88 will turn into 12, stay on 12 until San Andreas, (which is 49), until Angels Camp, turn left onto 4.
    We have tried the Stockton route, depending on traffic, it can take forever. Plus it is a very crooked road.
    I am anxious to see what others say.

Dogwood
    Participant

Hello, we met some really nice folks who said the fastest way up from north east Bay Area are highways 12 to 49 back to 4. We have tried this route before and it wasn’t faster for us. Any one have any feedback?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.