Freak Storm at Alpine

Home Forums BigTrees Talk Freak Storm at Alpine

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    cmon4day
    Participant

I was up mountain biking and got caught in the storm just below the Lodgepole Campground and OMG. Marble size hail came down so hard It hurt when you got hit. It hailed hard for a long time. I must have been under a tree for at least a 1/2 hour. I was near a creek and it became a torrent in no time, good thing I didn’t have to cross it. I was soaked to the bone and getting cold. I was about 2 miles from Bear Valley so When the hail let up I got on my bike and rode back in the pouring rain and light hail.
    I got back to my car at the BVAC and expected to see my car dented up from the hail and the guy said the hailstones were small in BV.
    On the way home, it was dry just below Tamarack.

bigtreestechman
    Keymaster

We went up to Lake Alpine yesterday evening and arrived just after a freak hail storm had come through. There was over an inch of hail on the ground much of which was about an inch in diameter.
    We walked through the Silvertip campground and talked to the camp host. He said that the hail had smashed two of his trailer’s sky lights and destroyed his awning. We also saw many tents and shade structures that had been trashed by the hail. Most of the campers were still in good spirits but we saw a lot of people packing up.
    The forecast yesterday was for 20% chance of thunderstorms. Today’s forecast is the same. Hopefully we won’t see such a destructive storm come through tonight.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.