HDTV Reception

Home Forums BigTrees Talk HDTV Reception

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    caleach
    Participant

Read with interest the piece on Vulkano. How is it different that hooking up a slingbox to you cable box at home and using sling player on your portable device? It’s even an app available on the Roku.

Steve

K6OAK
    Participant

To gagacabin: at our Arnold cabin, we have Comcast internet only ($45/mo). We can check email, surf the web. But we can also run our Roku and watch some on demand type shows and movies. You might check out Sling TV which just started this week. For $20/mo you get a small package of live cable tv channels (espn,cnn, hgtv) to name a few. No contract…just need to buy a Roku or similar hardware. I hear Amazon is offering some deals on their hardware in conjunction with Sling. Worth a look. We have it here at our Bay Area home.

bigtreestechman
    Keymaster

well… a couple things to consider…
    as far as I know:
    1) There is no ATT cellular reception in BTV (or anywhere above Murphys).
    2) There is no ATT DSL in BTV (or anywhere above Arnold).
    3) There is no HDTV reception in BTV (or anywhere nearby as far as I know).

In BTV, to the best of my knowledge, if you disconnect Comcast Internet and Cable, your only options will be DVDs and dialup internet unless you want to spend the $$$ on satellite internet.
    Of course, things do change and maybe ATT has started to care just a little bit more about potential rural clients.

gagacabin
    Participant

Thanks for the info. Went to the site, and I am a bit confused. We currently have A T & T and internet at home, at the cabin we have Comcast and internet. Would we be able to disconnect the Comcast TV, leaving only the internet service?
    Are you only able to watch things that are being recorded at your home, or say can you watch live news coverage?
    This sounds almost to good to be true!!
    Linda

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by gagacabin.
    nkruse
    Participant

If you would like to get TV in Big Trees (for free) and you have a second home that gets TV (cable/satellite) and you want to get those same channels in big trees – you can get a product called Vulkano one foreach house – and you basically are watching your TV signal from home gets that gets pushed to your second home in Big Trees – each receiver is ~100 bucks – http://myvulkano.com/products.html

allen
    Participant

No problem joe. I’m just used to the first post on top. I will get used to it. 🙂

bigtreestechman
    Keymaster

Yes, Allen. Several months back I changed it so that newest responses are displayed first. I found it frustrating to have to scroll through a long list to see the latest response when I clicked on the topic.
    Like any other aspect of a user interface some people like it, some don’t. Unfortunately it cannot be changed on an individual basis.
    FYI, I am not particularly fond of this forum platform but it is completely integrated into the WordPress framework and all of it’s security apparatus, stable as a rock and, simple as pie to maintain so I will probably not be changing it any time soon.
    joe

allen
    Participant

joe, have you changed the way posts are displayed? They are displayed with the newest one first now. Is there a setting somewhere to change this?

allen
    Participant

I used to get analog TV reception with an antenna on the roof. No digital reception though. I don’t think anyone has gotten digital reception with an antenna up here.

You’ll have to get Comcast or Comcast. 🙂

cmice
    Participant

This site will help you estimate your HDTV reception…

http://www.antennaweb.org/Address.aspx

“No Stations were predicted for this address”

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by cmice.
    mtndad
    Participant

I think we are a little to far from any TV station to receive a signal, let alone HD.

Look around your cabin, how many trees? Clear line of sight to Sacramento?

For good TV signal, I think it’s Comcast or Dish.

dandj
    Participant

Has anyone tried getting HDTV reception over the air in the Big Trees Village area? Is an outside antenna required? Which channels are available? Thanks in advance.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.