Leach field problem – advice?

Home Forums Cabin Maintenance Leach field problem – advice?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    rswheeler1
    Participant

El Dorado Septic is very good.

skipamy
    Participant

Aloha! Our cabin is named Hale Mauna.

The leach lines were clogged with roots. We ended up having to replace the entire leach field. I used Bryan Fassbender of Accurate Excavating and thought he was very good.

mauka hale
    Participant

I’m having some standing water in the riser to leach line. What did you find was the problem with you issue in your leach line.

Aleon
    Participant

I can pass on the Contractor I use for septic work, call me ….Allen

Allen Shaw Construction 795-3795

http://www.allenshawconstruction.com

Aleon
    Participant

I can pass on the Contractor I use for septic work, call me ….Allen

Allen Shaw Construction 795-3795

http://www.allenshawconstruction.com

skipamy
    Participant

I cannot seem to see the private reply above. I logged in and tried to click several links, but it does not show me the reply. What am I doing wrong?

Kuma
    Participant

skipamy, I can tell you that in order to replace the leach line takes permits. However if your plumber makes an error and breaks those lines by mistake he must fix whatever he breaks. in repairing these broken leach lines he will not need permits and such.

allen
    Participant

Most of the local contractors up here would likely have some suggestions on who else to call. Allen Shaw comes to mind. I don’t think he does any septic work himself, but he might know who to call. I don’t have his number handy but you should be able to google him and find it.

Where are the tree roots coming from? Do you have trees I the area where the leach lines are?

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by allen.
    skipamy
    Participant

The problem is with tree roots clogging the leach field pipe holes. They said the drought has made it worse, with roots seeking out moisture. Do any of you use any kind of regular treatment in the pipes to kill roots?

I just called El Dorado Septic and they said they refer this type of work to the guy I’m working with. I guess that’s good news.

Any other recommendations?

rswheeler1
    Participant

I agree with the recommendation for El Dorado Septic. They pumped my tank last year (after 25 years), and they did an excellent job. The guy said my tank was in excellent condition. Cost was $400.

I’ve never had a problem with my septic system, but I don’t have a garbage disposal, clothes washer or a dishwasher.
    Scott

skipamy
    Participant

Thanks, I will give them a call. If anyone else has a recommendation, please let me know.

Joe: I’ve noticed this before. Some posts don’t sort newest->oldest. This one shows oldest->newest? Just wondering why it’s not consistent.

DER8391
    Participant

You might call El Dorado Septic in Sonora for a 2nd opinion they are good..

allen
    Participant

Wow, that sucks! I would definitely get a second opinion and maybe a third or fourth opinion. In the past older skeptics could be repaired without bringing the septic up to a newer code and without being re-engineered. No telling these days.

skipamy
    Participant

Have been following these forums for many years but don’t remember hearing discussion about this problem.

Our septic alarm went off, turns out it’s draining much slower than it should. Tanks, pump, sensor are working, but just not draining well. Called out septic guy, he found some standing water in the leach field pipes (those vertical ones sticking out of the ground), which he surmised was due to clogs in the leach field pipes underground. So, he dug up some sections of the upper and lower leach fields and found a lot of roots clogging the holes, some areas worse than others.

He also said that we can’t replace just PART of the leach field pipes, we have to replace the whole thing (in order to be up to code), AND, we have to get an engineer to re-draw up plans. He said that in the past, they were able to replace bad sections, but because of past problems, the county is requiring contractors to replace the whole leach field system, correctly, to code.

Should I get a second opinion? Has anyone gone through this before? Unofficial estimate was in the 10K range for engineering and construction. Advice/input would be appreciated!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.