Lot cleaning

Home Forums BigTrees Talk Lot cleaning

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Terceira
    Participant

In regards to diashyn’s list of folks that do lot clearing, I have an update.
    I called Frank Stone’s number an the nice person on the other end said that Frank does not clean lots any longer and they referred me to Gonzalo Barbozo at 209.822.8204.
    Jayme Velardi is no longer cleaning lots, as emailed to me by Rayna.
    In the event anyone is keeping a list…
    Thanks diashyn for the phone numbers.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 9 months ago by Terceira.
    Kuma
    Participant

With things as dry as they are we did our whole lot this year. first time ever going all the way back well beyond what is called for. So while I understand not wanting to get a notice of any kind I feel they should be harder this year to keep things safe.

NorCal311
    Participant

We also got a review of our lot. Not an issue for us. We already spent 4 days clearing and burning. I understand why they are harder this year with the drought. They mention about clearing out mountain misery, which is fine. It will make cleaning out the oak leaves and pine needles easier in the years to come.

allen
    Participant

Somebody mentioned the Fire “Tax.” This “tax” is illegal!

This is what the “law” says about defensible space. Unfortunately I can’t find the rules for northern Calaveras County, but I have seen them before and they are the same as other areas of Calaveras County. This is wording from the “Central Calaveras Fire & Rescue District: http://www.railroadflat.org/public/graphics/defensible_space.pdf

C.) Remove Dead Vegetation:

The First Thirty Feet:
    Remove everything that is DEAD ! Dead trees, branches, brush, all dry grass, leaves and pine needles with in thirty feet of all buildings, on roofs, in gutters, decks/porches and ground including spaces under decks/porches, structures on pier blocks, RV’s and auto parking areas. Chimneys remove all limbs within ten feet of chimney. Install screening on chimney outlets. Propane Tanks provide ten feet horizontal & vertical clearance. Very low, well-irrigated ground cover and lattice fencing within ten feet is permissible ! No smoking or burn piles within 25-feet.

The Next Seventy Feet:
    Remove all dead trees & brush! Dry/cut grass, leaves and pine needles may stay on the ground 3-4” deep. In grasslands without brush or trees, dry grass 18” tall is permitted in this zone. Clearing beyond 100-feet will increase the safety of your residence and exposed property to wildfire. *Burn Day Status, Calaveras County: (209) 754-6600

So after thirty feet from your cabin you don’t need to clear pine needles unless they are over four inches deep. But we clean them anyway. I believe trees can lay on the ground if they are over thirty feet from your cabin, but not the dead limbs.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 9 months ago by allen.
    MackFamily
    Participant

Yes, we were surprised at getting a notice too. Thought we did a more thorough job than usual. Unfortunately we were at our cabin when the notice was mailed, so we will gave to wait for our next trip up to check it out.

We’ve had manzanita bushes next to our driveway since it was built but we got written up for those. The bottom 6 ft of all the trees along the street have to be stripped. I guess we’ll try to get clarification because it will drastically change the curb view of our property. Does it mean all shrubs have to go as well? We have a small dogwood there which I’d hate to lose.

Woody
    Participant

As the person in charge of the VIP Program at Big Trees Village I would like to respond to the previous posts regarding the Fire Safety Inspection Notices (FSIN) we sent out recently:

1. First of all the yellow FSINs you have received are not “tickets”. Their intent is simply to advise you of conditions on your property that our inspector feels are not according to the State codes. At this stage Cal Fire is not involved and will not be until the second inspections have been completed on July 6 and then only if there are uncorrected violations on your property. If you need extra time please let us know.

2. The phone no. and email address at the bottom of the FSIN are intended to provide you with a way to question anything you may not understand or agree with. I am currently respoding to questions and have set up two appointments with property owners to review their lot conditions at their property. I am more than willing to do the same with any owner.

3. I apologize for the phone problem. I didn’t realize the Rec Center would not be open this week. We had to have the FSIN to the printer a month ago and I assumed (bad idea) at that time the phone at the Rec Center office would be available. This situation will be rectified on Monday June 15.

4. To ChillinChumash, I received your e-mail yesterday and just got back from looking at your lot this morning. I will be contacting Cal Fire to try to understand the situation with PG&E and will contact you as soon as I have an answer.

5. The people who VOLUNTEER their time each year to inspect property in Big Trees Village diserve your respect. They get nothing more for the 12 to 15 hours they spend than the knowledge that they are helping to make your cabins/homes a little safer from fire.
    This year they have inspected over 1000 properties (an average of approximately 70 properties per inspection team).
    Their inspections have resulted in slightly over 300 FSINs sent out. Our inspectors are not perfect (are any of us?) but they are doing the best they can and I encourage all of you to e-mail or phone (after June 15) if you feel differently.

In closing, if anyone reading this has any constructive comments or suggestions on how to improve our performance or better yet, would like to join our team, please let me know at VIP@bigtreesvillage.org. For additional information please see the Big Trees Village website at bigtreesvillage.org under Fire Safety Regulations.

ChillinChumash
    Participant

I am certainly glad to hear I am not the only one. To gagacabin, the yellow notice come in the mail to your home address. I don’t understand why they are marking the dead and dying needles with in the 30 feet zone, as we have raked this 3 times, as aformentioned.
    To SnowShoe, I also agree with your take on “them” making this adversarial rather than cooperative. We have been more than cooperative over the years. I might also add that I called the number provided on the notice 3 times yesterday and no answer and no answering machine to leave a message. I also emailed them and so far no response.
    I am all for keeping a defensible space around our property and following all their rules AND even paying an imposed fire “FEE” every year. They should not be handing out these notices at will nor if they see the property owner is making a concerted effort to keep their space clean.
    BTW, my inspector was BTV18, who was yours?

lostbruce
    Participant

Yeah, we got a notice too for the first time. Ours was for small diameter tree that has died about ten feet or so from our place. I want to cut it down and take care of it but, it is a bit close to the power lines for my comfort. Oh well, I understand the reason for the notice and don’t really disagree. I am sure we will figure out how to take care of it one way or another (preferably without any collateral damage).

If anyone is reading this and is interested in cutting down two ( I think we have two dead trees) for a fair price, let me know.

btw, how good of a soaking did the area get with the rain yesterday?

gagacabin
    Participant

Where do they leave the yellow ticket, on the front door?

SnowShoe
    Participant

We received yellow paper as well. It highlighted dead and dying needles. However, all of the dead/dying needles were in one huge pile right next to a debris box waiting to get loaded in (which coincidentally happened the day after the inspection), and this fact was noted on the yellow paper. I kind of felt it was clear the pine needles were being addressed at that moment and that writing us up was somewhat counterproductive. Perhaps I was missing some other area on the property that needed to be addressed (yes, some needles on the roof but not a huge amount) but I don’t think so. I am all for inspections but I think perhaps there needs to be balance and flexibility otherwise the process becomes adversarial rather than cooperative. Just my take…

ChillinChumash
    Participant

For the first time in 12 years the powers that be have decided to ticket us for our lot not being clean. We have already raked on 3 different occassionsthis year and yet they still have given us that auspicious piece of yellow paper. Very up set with them right now. The only reason we can think of is that when PGE cut down 2 very large trees on the lower half of our 1/2 acre, they left the debris. We have been systematically removing it piece by piece at every visit, but guess it’s not satisfatory, in THEIR eyes.
    Has anyone else had this happen? Can you challenge them to provide proof of what they are talking about?
    Secondly, a while back someone posted that there was a service that collected wood for those in need. Does anyone have that name and number?
    Thirdly, if we can’t donate the wood as firewood, is there a company that would give me an estimate on removing the wood?
    We appreciate any help anyone can provide.
    Feeling livid in the “Flatland”

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.