My Motivation

Home Forums BigTrees Talk My Motivation

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    bigtreestechman
    Keymaster

I want to explain part of why I am motivated to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma society…

Simply put, I want the story below replaced with the following sentence:

“My doctor took a blood sample, found Lymphoma sensitivity, gave me a shot, and now I don’t have to worry about it”

However, here is today’s reality.
    Several months ago a neighbor and good friend had gone through just about every test they could throw at her but it was only by chance, during an unrelated surgery, that they stumbled across what turned out to be one of the most aggressive types of Lymphoma that exists.

The good news was that although it was one of the most aggressive types of Lymphoma, it was also one of the most treatable due to all the research that LLS had, in part, funded.

After months of Chemo Therapy that involved hair loss, weight loss, appetite loss, and just feeling like crap a lot, she was down to her last Chemo treatment when, due in part to a weakened immune system, she came down with an infection so severe that it almost killed her within hours.

Now that she has recovered from the infection, she still has weeks of radiation therapy ahead of her.

This diagnosis and treatment scenario plays out every day for thousands of people, and while the diagnosis and treatment has become orders of magnitude better over the last ten years, it is still a brutal process.

With the advent of Genome sequencing, and ever increasing capabilities and reduction in cost, researchers may be on the cusp of an entirely new, more individually focused, less brutal, diagnosis and treatment paradigm. Research like this, whether it be for Blood Cancers or others, has far reaching implications for all kinds of related diseases. So, that’s why I’m doing what I’m doing.

If you’d like to help HERE is where to do it.
    all the best,
    joe

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.