New Community Forum

Home Forums Web Site New Community Forum

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    tortuga
    Participant

VNJ–

I too have privacy concerns but ND has a workaround. You can have only your street name listed in your profile, without the street number. If you choose this option, then, on the map, your lot will be colored green, indicating a ND participant, but your name will not be listed.

So if you are the only ND participant on your street and meet someone at the lube room and say, “I live on Jibway and am on ND” then, yeah, the new acquaintance might figure it out. If you just say I’m Mary Jane Doe and live in BTV, they’re not going to find you via ND.

mtndad
    Participant

This is what I received after requesting a postcard”

Nextdoor
    Dear xx,
    Thank you for joining Nextdoor Big Trees Village, the private social network for Big Trees Village residents!

We apologize if you had trouble completing our verification process. Address verification helps ensure that only residents living in Big Trees Village can access Nextdoor.

We have gone ahead and sent a postcard with your personalized verification code to your home at xxx When you receive the postcard in the next 3-5 days, you can use the code to verify your address.

You can access Nextdoor Big Trees Village immediately using instant verification methods like your phone or credit card.

cmice
    Participant

Response I got back from Nextdoor experts is that you have to have a different email address for each community. I escalated that to ND as being unacceptable (and out of their expert volunteer network). I don’t expect a quick reply.

A BTV home owner started a new community page. It’s called Big Trees Raves. He is posting things in the community that people want to know about..preparing for Joes departure I am sure. Which we will all be sad about! It is through facebook. #don’tgojoe #loveyourpage

vnj
    Participant

I may be the only person on the planet with these concerns, but I decided to post anyway. The new NextDoor community forum has some privacy issues that concern me. On Big Trees Tech your privacy was protected. You used a pseudonym – on NextDoor you must use your real first and last name. On BTT you lived in BTV – on NextDoor you not only live in BTV, your name comes up with your house number and street name. If you go to a map of your street on NextDoor you can click on the map for any street in BTV. Members properties are highlighted and you will see the full name and the exact address of each member. NextDoor’s policy is based on the fact that if you met a neighbor in person, you would give your real name and point out your house. Let’s face it. Big Trees Village is a large community made up of wonderful people – but the bad apples exist. You are not meeting a neighbor face to face! I’m not sure I want to advertise exactly who I am and where I live to total strangers. Example: what if you are a single woman living alone and you meet someone in an Arnold store/restaurant/bar/whatever. Just because you share names does not mean that you want the person to log on to NextDoor for your address and a map to your house! Listing the names of your children is also an option on NextDoor. Considering the lack of privacy, I think that too might be an issue. Perhaps I am being a bit paranoid, but I do think the privacy issue is something to be concerned about.

tortuga
    Participant

Yes, my propane goes to the flatlands, but it lists the BTV address also so was good enough to get verified.

If folks are on Facebook, here’s the BTV page:
    https://www.facebook.com/BigTreesVillage/

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by tortuga.
    vnj
    Participant

Thank you very much for the specific instructions. I have uploaded my PG&E bill. Even my propane bill goes to Stockton! Your help is appreciated.

tortuga
    Participant

To upload a utility bill (I’m sending my propane bill) go to https://help.nextdoor.com/
    click on
    Getting Started
    Click on
    Join Nextdoor
    Scroll to bottom and click on
    Get Support
    Choose
    Getting started on Nextdoor
    Choose
    No mail delivery at my address
    Choose
    No, I’d like to contact Nextdoor support.

Finally on this page you can upload a copy of your bill.

I’ve uploaded my bill but no reply yet.

vnj
    Participant

Joe,
    Thank you for your years of work on the Big Trees Village website. I check the site a couple times a week when I am in the valley and daily if I am in Big Trees. You have been an outstanding addition to the community. I personally have been helped numerous times by information posted on Big Trees Tech. You will be missed. The forums will be missed. I hope the new NextDoor community will be half as useful as Big Trees Tech. Best wishes to you as you move on to different priorities for the website. Thank you thank you thank you.

vnj
    Participant

I went through the process of registering for Nextdoor and all was well until I tried to verify my address. They don’t accept POBox to have them send you a post card. I can’t have them call me at the cabin because I am in the flatland right now. Phone bill goes to flatland address. Credit cards are attached to flatland address. Only one item has my Big Trees address on it. That is my PG&E bill. I went around in circles on the website trying to find out how to email and attach that bill. I never found an email address. Could someone please post it. I tried the link that gagacabin posted but it is an incomplete link so I got a page not found error. I am ALMOST registered!! HELP please. Thank you.

gagacabin
    Participant

I will say this about Nextdoor, they are very prompt answering any questions that I have. This is what I received a few seconds ago. He is referring to the other email that he sent me, which I posted yesterday.

You need to use the street address for the cabin and a second email address than used on your existing Nextdoor account.

If a Nextdoor Neighborhood exists there, that is the local Nextdoor “Lead” and they can VERIFY your account as explained at https://help.nextdoor.com/customer/portal/artic… which is “Option B” that I mentioned above.

gagacabin
    Participant

When I register on Nextdoor, do I put in my cabin address on my flatland address?
    Putting in my cabin address is where I ran into trouble before. However, if I put in my home address, will I be able to get in with this group from there?
    I just sent that question to Nextdoor, will let you know what I find out.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by gagacabin.
    Sandi
    Participant

Hi all,
    If you’ve requested an invite from me and you haven’t received an email invite back from Nextdoor then I think it’s because Nextdoor hasn’t verified you yet or there is a problem with your registration. It’s a bit confusing so here is the Help section
    https://help.nextdoor.com/

Also, once registered here is a link to the invite to our Neighborhood:
    https://nextdoor.com/invite/apezmtftaxxcrndcetrv

Thanks for your patience,
    Sandi

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Sandi.
    caleach
    Participant

Ok, so I thought I had everything set up but I forgot my new password. In the process of trying to re set it I was given several options, all of which included tying my BTV location to a billing address. I do not have a credit card or phone number that bill to that location.
    How do I get past this?

Sandi
    Participant

Hi Everybody,
    If you would like an invite to the Big Trees Nextdoor forum just send your email address to me at sandi@sierrasentry.com
    Thanks,
    Sandi

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.