Refrigerator repair?

Home Forums Cabin Maintenance Refrigerator repair?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    skipamy
    Participant

This was a long time ago, but we purchased a cabin with a GE refrigerator that the owner said was not working (freezer not getting cold enough, but icing up). We said we’d take it ‘as is’. They did not give us any manuals/info on when it was purchased.

But I called GE and gave them the model and serial number, and they told me it was still under warranty! They gave me names of repair places that they covered, I called, and they fixed it no charge. Turned out to be a faulty thermostat.

So check your warranty or call them. It was one of the best support experiences I’ve had, they were very helpful. I purchased a GE for my home a few years later, partly based on my great experience with them.

jsschmitz
    Participant

I’ve repaired refrigerators several times. Seems much better to replace a $75 part instead of paying $600 to $1000 or more. Of course if the refrigerator is getting old the efficiency of a newer model may be worth it. The most common repair I’ve done is to replace a broken defrost heater. It’s a couple of hours work and then the refrigerator works well again. Sometimes repairs are worth it and sometimes not.

ragmor
    Participant

Our refrigerator went out the week before Christmas and we had one of my kids families coming up within a few days and renters coming after they left.
    Called Middleton’s. they recommended a repair guy to check it. Within 5 minutes he recommended that it wasn’t worth fixing. Drove down to Middleton’s that day and they delivered a new fridge the next day. Lots of inventory options there. We bought a nice looking one and very functional for a reasonable price.

mr ellis
    Participant

Sorry, but I can’t resist posting this – who in the world “fixes” a refrigerator? They are AWFULLY inexpensive at
    Middleton’s and they deliver an install fautllessly.

Tony
    Participant

Will do – RJ is coming this week to look at it.

Yes, exactly what I saw. Previous owner had the circuit board replaced but I guess it failed or is something else.

jsschmitz
    Participant

seems like other owners of this fridge have issues with the damper breaking and causing freezing, but it doesn’t seem related to ambient temperature. see http://www.justanswer.com/appliance/71vhs-own-ge-profile-refrigerator-model-pss26mgpa-bb-serial.html#re.v/459/

Usually you get the opposite problem when the house gets cold. The refrigerator compartment gets cold without running the compressor, so everything in the freezer warms to the same temp as the refrigerator and thus melts. Not much you can do about that with a one thermostat refrigerator.

Let us know what happens with your refrigerator. I’m curious. Good luck.

Tony
    Participant

Thanks!

bigtreestechman
    Keymaster

RJ’s appliance. 209-795-6705

Tony
    Participant

I am turning the heat down to 38 degrees. Propane charges are too high to leave it on. There seems to an issue with this particular model of refrigerator unfortunetly.

Kuma
    Participant

Are you leaving your heat on? I had issues with my frig while I was gone and I turned the heat off.

Tony
    Participant

My fridge keeps freezing all my food when I’m away for more than a few days.

Model # GE PSS26MGPA WW

Anyone have an appliance repair recommendation?

Thanks in advance.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.