Tree sap on deck

Home Forums Cabin Maintenance Tree sap on deck

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    lawver
    Participant

Oxi-clean is the preferred cleaner for wood as bleach damages the fibers. Spray it with a garden spray and scrub off with push broom. Rinse…

AZbunch
    Participant

Would a good power-washing clean the sap up? I have the same mess…

vnj
    Participant

Please don’t apologize!! Your suggestion is a great one for someone with cedar sap.

MountainGuy
    Participant

Yes, what is on my deck is mostly cedar. Maybe I didn’t read your post correctly as it didn’t originally state what kind of sap you were referring to. Please excuse my mistake and my suggestion. Hope you find a good solution to your sap problem – have a good day.

vnj
    Participant

My thought exactly. Sounds like cedar not pine. Soap and water won’t even take this pine sap off my hands much less the deck.

mtndad
    Participant

Sounds like Cedar Sap, not Pine.
    Let me know if I am wrong

MountainGuy
    Participant

I recently cleaned/washed my entire deck with a bucket of hot water and a very small amount of dish soap (ex: Dawn). I used a push scrub brush — it’s easy to do, inexpensive, and does a great job removing the sap. After scrubbing (in sections) I rinse/hose down the deck. Can’t get any cheaper then this and you don’t have to get down on your hands and knees to clean it. Dish soap, water and a good push brush are all you need. Hope this helps

vnj
    Participant

to mtndad: Thank you. Worth a try. I think I will try attaching a brush to the end of a broomstick and see if that works. Tomorrow I purchase Murphy’s Oil Soap. I’ll post the results. My fingers are crossed!

mtndad
    Participant

I haven’t tried this, but looks interesting. I got this off the internet.

“How to Remove Pine Sap from Wood Decks Want to know how to remove pine sap from wood decks and other wooden surfaces? As an alternative to those harsh, heavy-duty stain removers, use non-diluted Murphy’s Oil Soap. Simply apply with a mop or pour directly onto the affected surface. Allow it to sit for about fifteen minutes. Then scrub with a brush and rinse. The oil-based solution softens the sap residue, making it easier to remove. One note – this works best on finished or sealed decks. Tree sap is difficult to remove from any surface, especially once it’s hardened. However, learning how to remove tree sap using common household items can make this task easy.

Read more at Gardening Know How: How To Remove Tree Sap http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/tgen/how-to-remove-tree-sap.htm

vnj
    Participant

Yes, I can get it off my shoes with alcohol, but I need to find out how to get it off the deck!! Can’t quite imagine crawling around the deck with alcohol and a rag wiping up hundreds of sap spots!! Asked as Ace and they didn’t know.

mtndad
    Participant

Sorry about the sap. If it from Cedar trees, it’s water soluble, just soak the soles in a shallow pan, I use a baking pan.

If it’s Pine Tree sap, I hope you find a better way than have. Alcohol is the only sure way to remove it.
    70% Isopropyl Alcohol, available most any store, lots of rags or paper towels will do it. This also works on your car.

I hope someone has a better solution and will post it.

vnj
    Participant

Does anyone know how I can remove all the spots of tree sap from my deck? At my age, crawling around the deck on my hands and knees to scrub it off is not an option. Any shoes that have walked on the deck cannot come inside. The soles are covered with sap and then walking around the yard leaves dirt and needles sticking to the sap. Shoes are left at the door. Messy stuff!! I would love to clean it off.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by vnj.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.