"What to do with tree sap"

Home Forums BigTrees Talk "What to do with tree sap"

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    rswheeler1
    Participant

Again, thanks to all who responded to my request. I tried paint thinner after scraping off the bulk of the pitch and it worked well.
    Scott

Westlye
    Participant

What about pets paws (i.e.; cats & dogs)?

pleinair47
    Participant

it is ‘not’ recommended on cloth. I couldn’t figure out how to edit my first post…..

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by pleinair47.
    ebaker
    Participant

Paint thinner for pine sap. And, as you know, water works on cedar sap.

JudyB
    Participant

Cold water. Not hot or soapy just cold water. My car sits under sap filled trees and the only thing that works to remove it is to rinse it with cold water early in the morning before the sun warms up the car. Or if you can wait, let the first rain rinse away the sap. Good luck.

pleinair47
    Participant

Mayonnaise works well on most surfaces from cars to feet. However, it is recommended on cloth, as it will leave grease stains. It is really gross to apply, but it works!

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by pleinair47.
    rswheeler1
    Participant

Many thanks to all who responded to my request for a tree sap solution. I actually have a bit of Coleman fuel. I’ll give it a go.
    Scott

SnowShoe
    Participant

I still have the legacy can in my garage, and the Coleman lantern–that was camping!

allen
    Participant

You can still buy white gas?! I remember when I was a kid my father used it for Coleman camping stoves but I haven’t noticed it around for decades. Of course I haven’t looked either! 🙂

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by allen.
    SnowShoe
    Participant

White gas always works for me but be careful!!!

cabin
    Participant

rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) works great on hard surfaces like cars, windows etc but I don’t know if it works on clothes. Never tried it on clothes or shoes. Also it is cheap!

Flyfishr
    Participant

Ive had success with a product called Goo-Gone to remove sap from skin and clothing. On shoes – it can get pretty thick so scrape as much as possible off first.

caleach
    Participant

I have used silicone spray in the past with good results.

Steve

mtndad
    Participant

Cedar sap is water soluble.

Pine sap is a problem. Acetone will remove the sap, if you don’t have any use finger nail polish remover.

Other ideas would be welcome.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.